Dazor's history started in 1938 when Harry Dazey teamed up with Washington University professor Albert Perbal, to create a company that would manufacture lamps. Harry Dazey began his career by producing butter churns, but when Mr. Dazey came up with the idea for the "floating arm" portable light he decided to restructure his company into a lamp manufacturer that specialized in task lights.
Initially, Dazor lights were used simply as table lamps and the company grew to employ a dozen people. It was not until the eruption of World War II that Dazor lamps became famous for their high efficiency and lower costs. The government found that Dazor's lamps helped to conserve energy and were cheaper than the traditional costly overhead lighting. They were so impressed that they replaced the overhead lighting with the more energy efficient Dazor lamps and the company grew very rapidly.
Dazor was also the first fluorescent lamp manufacturer to combine the technology of the portable task light with fluorescent light bulbs. The technology was highlighted in a display by General Electric at the 1938 World's Fair. The lamp became popular quickly, especially among draftsman and architects of the time who found that the lights offered better visibility than traditional incandescent lights.
Today, Dazor lights are used in many industries where good lighting is essential to quality performance. Jewelers, electronic manufacturers, medical and dental professionals, artists and craftsmen all use Dazor lamps. High quality components, engineered design, and a vast attention to detail keep Dazor positioned as one of the premier lamp manufacturers in the world.